Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Poem by Faye

A bit of background information about this poem:  I wrote it in 1979 or 1980, when I was really new to the field.  I submitted it to the New England Society of END Technologists to be published in their newsletter.  It got picked up by the ASET newsletter!  I have not thought about this poem for years, until the Mistress of Ceremonies, Jane Peasley, read this poem during the NESET 50th Anniversary Celebration, three weeks ago.  I have been a member of NESET and ASET for over 30 years now!   You will have to forgive my use of the word “technicians”.  I knew better, even back then, but had to use artistic license to make it all rhyme!  I do want to make the point that we should correct physicians, patients, and staff who call us “technicians”.  We are technologists and proud of it!  You'll notice a few things are outdated now...
 "Omni-Prep" has been replaced by newer products.  How many of you out there have been around long enough to remember this product?  I worked at a Children's Hospital, so I enjoyed getting silly with my patients.  I called this stuff "camel snot" because of the combination of sandy and slimy texture!  And it is no longer a standard practice for techs to administer chloral hydrate.  With today's focus on "patient-cenered care" I am sure that in most labs, parents are invited to stay during their child's EEG, and that is a good thing!

The Life of an EEG Technologist
We are part soothsayers, repairmen, and magicians
What are we? We’re EEG Technicians’!
There are many issues for us to decide,
Standards to follow, rules to abide.
Should we sedate with chloral hydrate?
What to do when the patients are late?
Too many patients, can we squeeze in another?
We better say YES, it’s “so & so’s” brother.
Electrodes applied of silver or gold,
Impedances low, with Omni-prep bold.
Applied with paste or collodian,
An issue more practical than Freudian.
Then what of this patient? Rule out TLE?
She told me today she took LSD.
And, should I tell her physician?
Oh, what a position.
And then the dilemma of parents in the room
I’m sure they think I should be riding a broom.

The doctor comes in at the end of the day,
The records are ready, there’s been no delay. 

It’s all in the life of an EEG Technologist,
Part mother and father, nurse and psychologist.





1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful! Thank you for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete